I grew up Catholic. Therefore I was always told to give something up for lent. I never understood the meaning behind why but I knew if I didn't do it I would be asked by all my relatives and friends why I didn't pick something. So I normally gave up pop (or soda or cola, whatever you may call it) or sometimes I would be really brave and give up bubble gum, seriously I chew like 5 pieces a day. During the 40 days leading up to Easter I also always ate fish on Friday and felt guilty if I ate meat. But really, it was never explained to me why we gave things up or why we only ate fish on Fridays. I did it all because I was told by my Grandma and parents.
I don't want that to be the case with LB. I don't want him to only do "religious" things because we tell him to. I want him to know the reason behind it and make the decision for himself. Our God is so much bigger than a set of rules and guidelines. He is so much more awesome than we can imagine. If LB chooses to give something up for lent I want him to do it for a purpose. I want him to pray about it and think it over. I want him to be able to really lay something down at the feet of the King Most High. So that at the end of the fasting God will reveal Himself in new ways to him. That he will be changed by the sacrifice he made and he will see Jesus' sacrifice on the cross even more powerfully.
So this year as I prepare for the coming of our King's rising from the dead I have decided to fast from the thing that distracts me from seeking the Lord the most during the days. Television. I always have that thing on in background. Most of the time I am not really watching it but instead just letting the noise of it filter into my mind. I am almost afraid of what God will say to me if I sit in complete silence during LB's naps. Will He point out something I am doing wrong as a mom? Will God tell me I am not being the woman He made me to be? I am sure if I let myself sit in the silence and listened for that still small voice to speak out I would hear God speak blessing over me and reminding me of the love only He can provide me. Sure there will be a lot of correcting in those moments of silent but there will also be a lot of love given from the only One who can truly satisfy my soul. I yearn for these moments. To really feel God flowing through my life again. Which is why I am giving up television. Taking away a distraction that is far to present in my life. Allowing that still small voice to become louder and in turn allowing me to cry out to Him again.
Now I will say I am not totally giving up television. I will still watch it if it involves guest in our home. I feel it is important not to impose my convictions upon others and really when people are in our house my job is to show them the love of Christ by opening my house to them and making them feel welcomed.
How about you all? Do you participate in lent or just fast from things as the Lord lays them on your heart? I try to do both but Lent is always a good reminder for me to "Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all things will be given to you as well" Matthew 6:33
*Also, thank you all so so much for your kind words and tips with LB's pink medicine joys. You guys are the best and I really appreciate all your words. Reading them has definitely made the last few days more bearable. *
Yah I grew up thinking lent was lint. I like the idea, I've just never done it. It seems strange to me that people give up bubble gum and coffee and stuff that to me shouldn't be hard to give up for God. I don't know. I was always annoyed when the school served fish on Friday's and most everyone hated it.
ReplyDeleteI grew up Catholic as well and also gave up things like pop or chocolate, etc. I remember always eating fish sticks or such on Friday nights for dinner growing up. Once I no longer considered myself Catholic (around age 14 or 15) I did not continue this practice. Now being older I have a lot more respect for the Catholic church than I had when I was younger because I understand it better (funny now that I'm not Catholic anymore).
ReplyDeleteGood job on giving up TV! That would be difficult. This encourages me to start giving things up again during Lent. Thanks Kelley!